[Asterisk-Users] InfoWeek Article on VOIP

trixter http://www.0xdecafbad.com trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Sat Jul 16 15:22:36 MST 2005

On Sat, 2005-07-16 at 17:05 -0500, Michael Graves wrote:
> I agree with others who have chimed in that IP-to-IP calls can sound
> better than PSTN calls. I have a co-worker who has a SipGate account in
> the UK. Calls to him via SipGate go out through my FreeWorldDialup
> account. They sound great. So good that in silent moments we often
> think that we've been severed, even with no silence suppression on the
> line.

One thing that many PSTN providers are doing for calls when they went
digital is to insert small quantities of noise into the line.  That way
people do not think they are disconnected.  There is a bunch of
documentation on this, and even some that applies to VoIP
providers/equipment doing the same (its basically a faint bit of white
noise so you hear *something*).

UK +44 870 340 4605   Germany +49 801 777 555 3402
US +1 360 207 0479 or +1 516 687 5200
FreeWorldDialup: 635378