[Asterisk-Users] Sip registration question

jerry at voiptower.com jerry at voiptower.com
Sat Jul 16 13:32:01 MST 2005

Hi everyone,

I have a number of SIP registrations going fine, but am trying to get a new
provider going, and they have no sample Asterisk SIP config. They have been
helpful, but keep falling back to the way they "think" packets should be
flowing,
and I've been trying to figure out how the Asterisk config should look like
to get the SIP packet to look correct.

Now, they say that from a phone this works fine, and that our config must be
at issue. The claim is that "Asterisk isn't doing MD5 authentication right",
and since I'm not an expert with SIP MD5 auth in asterisk, may be true.

Right now, I'm trying to get the registration happening. On a "test" server,
we've been able to put through a call w/o registration, so it seems some of
this can be compatible.

I'm wondering if I can use "md5secret" with a "register => " statement.

The current busted config:

[general]
;register => userid:pass:acctid at voipprovider.com:5069

[myipsolution]
type=friend
authuser=acctid
username=userid
secret=pass
md5secret=XXXMD5HASH of userid:asterisk:pass XXXXX
nat=yes
host=voipprovider.com
port=5069
insecure=very
canreinvite=no

The error on the console is:
Jul 16 11:29:20 NOTICE[3361]:    -- Registration for 'userid at voipprovider.com'
timed out, trying again
Jul 16 11:29:21 WARNING[3361]: Forbidden - wrong password on authentication for
REGISTER for 'userid' to 'voipprovider.com'

The password is right, as given and verified by the provider. Any suggestions
would be great.

Thanks,
J.