[Asterisk-Users] SoftPhones: Bad, or just bad QoS?

Time Bandit timebandit001 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 14:00:15 MST 2005

> 1.) User interface - The interface to the softphones is really less
> than ideal. This includes the problem mentioned earlier about not
> hearing ringing unless you have your headset on, dialing with the
> mouse, not having telephone service if your PC isn't on, etc. The
> traditional telephone "interface" of handset, dialpad, etc. is
> utterly pervasive and very simple and user-friendly. You lose that
> with a softphone.
Well, not with all softphones. I build mine trying to reproduce my
Nortel phone model 9316.
Also, I wanted to use the softphone without using the mouse, so I made
it so that you can dial with the numeric pad (using / for #), you can
pick up a line by pressing F1 for line 1, F2 for line 2, etc. Want to
hangup, just press ESC

I received a lot of positive comment about it, and most people like
the fact that it looks like and behave like a normal phone.

> 2.) Quality/Cost - For good softphone quality, you HAVE to use a
> headset or external USB handset, etc. This is a pain, because users
> don't always want to use a headset, they want the choice. The other
> problem is that one of the main advantages of the softphone is that
> it is cheap, and paying for a good headset reduces that advantage
> (and you DON'T want to skimp on headsets). The other factor is that
> softphone quality depends on soundcard quality, etc. As a Mac shop,
> this ought to be a smaller problem.
I agree on the point that the quality of the headset and the soundcard
makes a huge difference on the quality of the call. But compare the
price of a good soudcard/headset with the price of a Cisco phone and
you will still have money left to go have a nice meal with your
girlfriend.

> The other thing to keep in mind is that your users, especially your
> boss, are going to be judging the Asterisk system, and you
> performance, based mostly on their interaction with the system. If
> their main interface to the system is a Cisco 7940G or Polycom 501,
> they are likely to be impressed because the new system gives them
> such major benefits, but doesn't require them to use funny computer
> phones, start up their PC to receive or make a call, etc. If they
> have to use X-Lite, then their reaction is likely to be "This system
> works well, but I hate that I have to have my PC on, I have to dial
> with the mouse or numeric keypad, If software update is installing an
> update voice quality goes to hell, etc. This is not to mention that
> if you need Gigabit for the file transfers, etc that your computers
> are doing, then voice quality is likely to go to hell whenever they
> initiate a major file transfer.
I agree, your boss will judge the system based on is experience with
it. So don't skim on the quality if you want to keep him happy.