[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk+errision PBX

dbruce dbruce at bananatel.com
Fri Jul 15 06:31:56 MST 2005

Asterisk+errision PBXYes, it can be done.

You will need:
    1)  Asterisk server
    2)  ATA devices ( recommended: Linksys PAP2-NA  - 1 device for every two lines connected to the PBX)
    3)  An appropriate amount of time to become familiar with Asterisk and the ATA devices

You could use Cisco ATAs... but they are expensive and hard to configure... I would recommend using Linksys PAP2-NA (ok.. so technically these are now cisco ATAs... but we won't get into that) as they are cheap, reliable, configurable and relatively easy to set up. A simple setup can be done for less than $200USD if you already have a computer that you can use for the Asterisk server. The computer can be an just abount any old computer (P2 or better) to get started and experiment with.

Your setup would be an ATA connected to each PBX. Each ATA would register to the Asterisk server at the main office. You will need to reconfigure each PBX to send calls to the other two systems out through the analog line connected to the ATA, and configure the asterisk server to send the calls to the other systems as appropriate.

Before you start, go to the Wiki (http://www.voip-info.org/tiki-index.php?page=Asterisk) and read... then read some more... when you feel that you've read enough to have the basic idea of what Asterisk is and what it does... read it again.

Organize the information you will need to design the system... This means:
    1) Gather the dialplan information for all the office PBX systems. You will need to determine a way to integrate the dialplans from all the systems so that you can dial from one system to the others. This can be done in any number of ways and you will have to decide on the best way to do it to meet your specific needs
    2) Gather the information you need to configure the ATA devices
    3) Gather the information about the internet connections at each location. Pay specific attention to any firewalls you will have on the network
    4) plan a dialplan for the Asterisk server
    5) install your chosen operation system on the computer
    6) download and compile Asterisk
    7) comfigure your Asterisk server. using the information gathered steps 1, 2, and 3 to guide your decisions
    8) configure your ATA devices
    9) test your system before you deploy the ATA devices, using a phone set to "emulate" the pbx(s).
    10) deploy the system

Good luck. 8-}

Regards,
Derek Bruce