[Asterisk-Users] NAT Asterisk Peering

Dan Adams list-asterisk at infochi.net
Thu Jul 14 20:13:30 MST 2005

I was wondering and trying to figure out how the following idea would work
 and what might be needed to implement it, can anyone give any suggestions?

What I am wanting to do is to setup an asterisk server, primarily so I can
 get voicemail, call files, and the idea of cheaper long distance by using
 the internet. What seems like the place that things could get tricky is that
 I am desiring to place the asterisk server behind a firewall that performs
 NAT operations on the packets. Any of the SIP phones or ATA devices that
 would connect directly to my box would also be behind the NAT location. The
 only passthru to the outside is in the idea of peering with other asterisk
 boxes, I do have one in mind, that are on the outside of my own NAT box. I
 am desiring to setup the peering with SIP rather than IAX at least on this
 main connection.

Is there any examples of the VOIP-info website or other places that might be
of use in this idea? Or does anyone have suggestions or knowledge of this
working for them?

Dan Adams - webmaster at infochi.com
http://www.infochi.net