[Asterisk-Users] Festival questions

Chris Albertson chrisalbertson90278 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 14 15:58:12 MST 2005

I was working on something like this.  There are a few
isues:

(1) First off yes you have to have access to the tesxt of the
e-mail.  Notice the word "test" we don't want html or
MS word atachments.

(2) Next look below nice al the silly junk like quotes are
indicated by >> marks.  This has to be converted.
The the "ascii art" in the sig line.   OK this is not hard
just a whole bunch of Perl scripting or if you are really nuts
like me try lex/yaac to define an "e-mail grammer"
There is much to be done here basically we are building a
"script" that any reader (human or machine) would be able
to read into a telephone.  The BEST format to use a voice
markup language not plain text.  Festival can read the
markup language

(3) Finally you spimply scrip it and run it on as command
line application on _many_ test emails and listen.

(4) assuming #3 above is done integrating it into * is very
easy.  One interrresting idea would be to automaticaly
drop email into voice boxes oruswer could us a menu tree

If anyone seriouly wants to work on the above isues please CC
me directly about it.  Im my opinion most of the work is
in #2 which would be implemented outside of the * code base
as a stand alone application.

--- Tzafrir Cohen <tzafrir at cohens.org.il> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 13, 2005 at 03:47:53PM -0400, mchapman2 at carolina.rr.com
> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Is it possible to setup an Asterisk system that can allow someone
> > dial in using a DID and listen to their e-mail? Has anyone done
> this?
>
> It seems that basically yes, but quite depends on your local
> settings.
>
> For instance, is Asterisk allowed to read users' mails?
>
> As for a user interface, consider the one of the original berkeley
> mail.
> It was designed to work in very simple terminals.
>
> --
> Tzafrir Cohen         | tzafrir at jbr.cohens.org.il | VIM is
> http://tzafrir.org.il |                           | a Mutt's
> tzafrir at cohens.org.il |                           |  best
> ICQ# 16849755         |                           | friend

Chris Albertson
  Home:   310-376-1029  chrisalbertson90278 at yahoo.com
  Cell:   310-990-7550
  Office: 310-336-5189  Christopher.J.Albertson at aero.org