[Asterisk-Users] Systems Admin; Telecom Newbie - What do I need?

brett at websmyths.com brett at websmyths.com
Thu Jul 14 14:22:09 MST 2005

On 7/14/2005, "Ed Pastore" <epastore at ascp.com> wrote:

>On Jul 14, 2005, at 11:54 AM, Adam Goryachev wrote:
>
>> Use a phone like the polycom IP301/501/600 which has a built-in 2 port
>> 10/100 switch. ie, take the existing cable and plug it into the phone,
>> then take a second cable, connect one end to the phone, and the
>> other to
>> your PC. No need for any additional major investment....
>
>Independent of my telephony overhaul, I am planning on migrating my
>network to gigabit to speed up some core file services (we do a lot
>of server-based computing). Are there phones with a gigabit switch in
>them? :)

Ed, you should probably go with Cat 6 for your Gigabit network anyway.
so just throw the 'cost' of the cabling on that 8-)  Leave the 'old'
100 MBit plant in place and use that for VoIP.  Then when you 'pull out'
the old Cat 3 for your phones - you can use the Cat 3 for the 'snake' to
pull the new Cat 6.  Leave the VoIP network separate from the data
network.
Better for your 'QOS' too.

Let's you add the 'perception' that the New VoIP will recycle the old
equipment making it even a better 'deal'.

Brett