[Asterisk-Users] Changing the voice in Asterisk

Steve Murphy murf at e-tools.com
Thu Jul 14 07:35:54 MST 2005

> Has anyone had any luck in changing the voices for Festival and
> Asterisk?
>
> I have Festival installed and working, but can not get the voice
> different
> from the default.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jason

Jason--

Assuming you follow the installation instructions, and install the Mbrola and
other goodies for all the possible different voices, then you can, while running festival
in a terminal window, run the following commands (in 195):

(SayText "This is the default voice. It sounds like K.E.D. Diphone?")
(tts "text_to_read" nil)

(voice_cstr_us_awb_arctic_multisyn)
(SayText "This is AWB arctic multisyn")
(tts "text_to_read" nil)

(voice_cstr_us_jmk_arctic_multisyn)
(SayText "This is JMK arctic multisyn")
(tts "text_to_read" nil)

(voice_el_diphone)
(SayText "This is E.L. Diphone")
(tts "text_to_read" nil)

(voice_kal_diphone)
(SayText "This is K.A.L. Diphone")
(tts "text_to_read" nil)

(voice_rab_diphone)
(SayText "This is R.A.B. Diphone")
(tts "text_to_read" nil)

(voice_don_diphone)
(SayText "This is D.O.N. Diphone")
(tts "text_to_read" nil)

(voice_ked_diphone)
(SayText "This is K.E.D. Diphone")
(tts "text_to_read" nil)

(voice_us1_mbrola)
(SayText "This is mbrola U.S. 1")
(tts "text_to_read" nil)

(voice_us2_mbrola)
(SayText "This is mbrola U.S. 2")
(tts "text_to_read" nil)

(voice_us3_mbrola)
(SayText "This is mbrola U.S. 3")
(tts "text_to_read" nil)

(voice_en1_mbrola)
(SayText "This is mbrola E.N. 1")
(tts "text_to_read" nil)

If you are able to decide on a particular voice, you can make it the
default by including your lines in the lib/siteinit.scm file:

(set! voice_default 'voice_cstr_us_awb_arctic_multisyn)
(provide 'siteinit)

My advice is to play around with the system and read the docs. There is
no substitute. I've published my WhoIsIt-1.1.tar.gz tarball with some
scripts to generate files from festival, for all the country names, and
the physical location of the different area codes in the US, etc.

murf

--
Steve Murphy <murf at e-tools.com>
Electronic Tools Company