[Asterisk-Users] Multiple NICs on Asterisk box

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir at cohens.org.il
Thu Jul 14 02:13:41 MST 2005

On Thu, Jul 14, 2005 at 09:00:04AM +0200, Zoltan Szecsei wrote:
> Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
>
> >Zoltan Szecsei wrote:
> >
> >>I've traced the problem to be with the firewall and the fact that I
> >>have 2 NICs in the box. Now that I have opened port 4569 on both
> >>interfaces, asterisk seems happy *but* does anyone know how to force
> >>SuSE 9.3 to always bring up a specific NIC before the otherone?
> >

> >SUSE Pro 9.3 assigns IP addresses to NICs based on their MAC
> >addresses, not their slot positions or load order (unless you've done
> >something funky). You should not have any problem with the wrong NIC
> >getting a particular IP address, and Asterisk does not care at all
> >which one is 'eth0'.
>
> I wish this were true, but, believe me, on reboot, sometime the pci 3com
> card gets eth0 and sometime the onboard. Who says computers re-iterate
> perfectly :-)  ?
>
> BTW: I need the pci card to be eth0 (sensed first).

If you want useful answers from people here, provide some data for
people to work with. As for that data: people asked you to look at some
specific files.

E.g: frankly I still can't tell if both cards get loaded by the same
module or by different modules. Frankly, I can't think of a good reason
why two different boots of the same machine with very similar config
would have different module/card load order.