[Asterisk-Users] Speech Recognition

Race Vanderdecken asteriskusers at codetyrant.com
Wed Jul 13 12:40:17 MST 2005

I worked with Intellivoice. They did VAD, voice activated dialing, on
the switch. You had to dial a number, speed dial on the cel, to get the
reco. It worked with any phone. Their research should that speech
recognition was more accurate then DTMF dialing.

They were doing voice pattern recognition, that is were you record a
couple of names that are kept on the switch/pbx, then a person says the
name and the switch thing tries to match the phrase. They could only get
about 7 names and they had to be very different phrases.

The number recognition, saying 0-9 was done differently, but it was 97%
accurate vs. about 80-90ish % for hand dialing.

The hard part is that Cell at that time was CDMA so there was a bunch of
background noise to do the reco on.

The Nynex phone guys used it a bunch. And they did it in South America.

In the end the VAD turned out to be easier to do with software in the
phone doing the reco because of the lousy quality of the audio the
switch was trying to do on.

So, what have we learned?

Being able to say the number is better then using your, in my case
"fat", fingers to dial a phone.

But you need a good Signal to Noise ratio to recognize them.

Also you need to able to recognize natural language numbers. Numbers
like "1,2,3,4,..." are easy. But most people will say "ninety-nine",
"double oh", Transylvania six five thousand"

Remember, you can't force train a user. Do reco on 0-9 and be prepared
for people saying it does not work.

Let me know how you make out with this.

Race "the tyrant" Vanderdecken (soon to have a new and improved
website.)