[Asterisk-Users] Systems Admin; Telecom Newbie - What do I need?

Wiley Siler wsiler at education2020.com
Wed Jul 13 11:20:35 MST 2005

You clipped the original so there are some other things that need to be
known.

How many users are being supported again?
The biggest hits to servers seems to be due to transcoding in most
cases.
Look on the wiki for an explanation of server sizing and decide based
upon how you will connect your users to dial tone.
A good bet is to figure on a dual processor machine with 1 GB (or 2 is
better at current RAM costs) of RAM, and at least 80GB HDD.  You may
want something that has drive redundancy via RAID (most would I think)
so factor that into the cost.

How many phones do you need?
What features?  Great phones can be had for $150-200.
Do you need one line LED only?  Get the Polycom IP300.
Need multi-line?  Get the Polycom IP501. (best value in my opinion but
others are great too)

How many ports for your Gigabit network?  How many replacement NICs?
How many switches at what size?  I assume you can price that yourself?
Do you really even need this?  I think moving to Gigibit is great but
you may want to make sure you focus more on QoS enabled switches.
Plenty come in Gigabit capable and with high port density.  Linksys has
some nice managed switch at 24 ports with gigabit and QoS.

How many lines do you need to have dialing at once?
Do you need 40 hard lines?  Do you need 23 (PRI T1)?
Figure a PRI T1 at $600-800 per month (may be different in your region)

Software phones are pretty much free at this point.  USB Headsets are
around $50 for good ones from Logitech or Plantronics (my fave).

PCI cards are pretty much decided like this.  From what I have seen,
Sangoma cards require more technical savvy than Digium cards so plan on
getting some Digium cards unless you want to deal with the learning
curve.  Others may disagree but that is my opinion.  Examples of the
card costs can be seen at voipsupply.com and other places.  They make
multiport cards that support up to 4 T1s on one card if you need more
than 23 channels of voice.

I think most of the pricing is really something you can do yourself if
you just answer the questions above and go from there.  I don't think
anyone here will be able to give you a budget number.  You will need to
start a tally sheet and go from there.  Post your numbers when you are
done and I bet someone will double check them for you.  Until then, you
need do a little more of the calculation on your own.  You don't need to
understand telecom to get this budget completed.  You just need to know
what your basic requirements are.  Answer the questions above and you
will know all of your hardware and line provisioning.  Factor in an
additional 10% for cost overrun and you should be good.  Don't forget to
add any consulting fees you feel you may need (figure a couple grand at
worst).

Hope that helps!

Cheers,
Wiley