[Asterisk-Users] Systems Admin; Telecom Newbie - What do I need?

Ed Pastore epastore at ascp.com
Wed Jul 13 10:06:38 MST 2005

Thanks for all the great replies. I guess I over-asked my question
(since so many kept popping up).

For now, what I really need to determine is what I need to budget for
a full implementation. Unfortunately, I don't have time now to do
testing and analysis... I just need to get my budget submitted. So
I'm trying to figure out what all I'll need to buy and budget for.
Obviously this is pretty hard, since I understand so little about
telecom.

So that said... Can anyone help me in determining what all I will
need? The only thing I really need is one ballpark figure for a grand
total cash outlay. However, it it is too low, I may be hosed. If it
is too big, the project may be cut out of the budget. So I'd like to
get within, say $5K of the actual expected cost.

The items I had identified in my original post were:
- A server, running Debian Linux or OS X (our preferred operating
systems here)
- A good network. We're on switched 100 Base-T, but will move to
gigabit next year.
- A T1 or some dedicated channels of a T1
- Gateway PCI cards or devices (in the case of OS X, only devices I
guess)
- VOIP phones or phone software (I'd like to use software and USB
handsets)

Are there more things I need? Or does someone have a rough estimate
of what it costs to implement an Asterisk system in a small business?
We have about 50 users and currently have something like 20 POTS
lines coming into our PBX.

Thanks again.