[Asterisk-Users] Any suggestions for an IP phone?

Wed Jul 13 07:33:01 MST 2005

On Wed, 2005-07-13 at 08:35 -0500, Michael Graves wrote:
> True. However, there is broad user based support for Polycom & Cisco
> phones within the Asterisk community. Not so for Zultys.

While neither polycom nor cisco are responsive to the asterisk user
community, and I would like to say "Don't buy polycom/cisco until they
start supporting asterisk", I can't. Polycom phones are simply the best
I've seen, and time and time again, that thought/personal preference is
repeated on this list by other people.

I do always prefer polycom over cisco because at least you don't need to
pay for firmware upgrades on polycom, and they really seem to be
easier/more powerful to configure.

> The only area where the Zultys 4x4/4x5 were better tahn the Polycom
> IP500/600 was in handling multiple lines. The Z phones handle many
> lines with a single registration, very much like a hunt group. The
> polycom phones require multiple registrations and complex external
> dialplan logic to behave in a similarily intuitive manner.

Actually, I think the 1.5.2 SIP firmware for the polycom phones fixing
this. I have 1 registration, with 1 call per line appearance, which
seems to give me what you are suggesting. I haven't quite found the best
solution to all this yet, but at least the config options are now
available.

PS, Actually, I have 2 lines configured to my asterisk box, with each
other line configured to a different asterisk box so I can be an
'extension' on their phone system too...

Regards,
Adam
Adam Goryachev
Website Managers