[Asterisk-Users] Polycom 600 phone

Eric Wieling aka ManxPower eric at fnords.org
Tue Jul 12 16:35:31 MST 2005

Chris Gamble wrote:
>>From their website, the key difference between the polycom 500 and 600 phones is the number of "lines" they support. What does this mean in terms of asterisk? Do I have to have a seperate extension for each of these lines or ?
>
> Also, slightly off-topic, how does the 500 POE "optional" cable work? Is this similar to have a power box on your desk, or is just a differently configured CAT5 cable?
>
> And finally, being poor as we are, are the cheaper (ie non-400$ each) Polycom's usable?

It's a Cat 5 cable with with RJ-45 plug on one end and an RJ-45 socket
on the other end.  It has what I can only call a "bulge" in it.  The
"bulge" may even have have a port for outlet power with the AC adapter
that comes with the phone.  I don't recall and I'm not near the site
where I have these deployed.

I assume the "bulge" has whatever it is that converts PoE into power for
the phone.

There are different versions of the cable.  Cisco PoE cable and a IEEE
"af" standard.

--
Eric Wieling * BTEL Consulting * 504-210-3699 x2120