[Asterisk-Users] Zaptel won't compile under Fedora Core 4

Bates, Curtis Curtis.Bates at AGEDWARDS.com
Tue Jul 12 12:39:23 MST 2005

Which version of Zaptel are you using?  I am using version 1.09 and having issues,  I did not have issues with 1.08.

-----Original Message-----
From: Eric Bullen [mailto:barnabus.pinklehorn at gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 12, 2005 12:36 PM
To: Asterisk Users Mailing List - Non-Commercial Discussion
Subject: Re: [Asterisk-Users] Zaptel won't compile under Fedora Core 4

On 7/11/05, Tzafrir Cohen < tzafrir at cohens.org.il> wrote:

On Tue, Jul 12, 2005 at 11:04:16AM +1000, Gonzalo Servat wrote:
> On 7/12/05, Eric Bullen < barnabus.pinklehorn at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I hope someone can offer me some help with this. Basically, the current CVS
> > version of Zaptel will not compile under Fedora Core 4. I have closely
> > followed the directions in
> > http://www.voip-info.org/tiki-index.php?page=Asterisk+Fedora+Core+3  <http://www.voip-info.org/tiki-index.php?page=Asterisk+Fedora+Core+3>
> > using the versions given in the FC4 distro with no luck.  Here's the output
> > when I run "make linux26". Any help would be great. TIA.
>
> [...snip...]
>
> >  In file included from /asterisk_source/zaptel/zaptel.c:40:
> >  /asterisk_source/zaptel/zconfig.h:10:27: error:
> > linux/version.h: No such file or directory
>
> Try installing kernel-source and/or glibc-kernheaders RPMs from the FC4 CDs.

kernel-glibcheaders is the part of the kernel headers that user-space
programs need. Not any good reference for any kernel module to build
with.

linux/version.h is generated as part of the configuration process of the
kernel configuration process ("make {,menu,x,g}config") of the kernel
source.

What version of zaptel do you try to build? For what kernel version?
Your distro's default or your one you've built yourself?

That did the trick-  I  untarred the kernel source, ran "make oldconfig && make", and got the linux/version.h file. Then did a "ln -s kernels/linux-2.6.12 linux-2.6" in the /usr/src dir. Once that was done, went to the zaptel dir and it compiled beautifully. Thank you so much.

To answer your question, I am running the latest version in CVS using "cvs update -d -r v1-0", and kernel 2.6.12. I ended up building my own kernel (not installed) to get this to work (not sure if I could do it the other way).

Thanks again for the help, and hopefully my notes will help others.

-Eric

A.G. Edwards & Sons' outgoing and incoming e-mails are electronically
archived and subject to review and/or disclosure to someone other
than the recipient.