[Asterisk-Users] Zaptel won't compile under Fedora Core 4

Eric Bullen barnabus.pinklehorn at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 10:35:33 MST 2005

On 7/11/05, Tzafrir Cohen <tzafrir at cohens.org.il> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 12, 2005 at 11:04:16AM +1000, Gonzalo Servat wrote:
> > On 7/12/05, Eric Bullen <barnabus.pinklehorn at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I hope someone can offer me some help with this. Basically, the
> current CVS
> > > version of Zaptel will not compile under Fedora Core 4. I have closely
> > > followed the directions in
> > > http://www.voip-info.org/tiki-index.php?page=Asterisk+Fedora+Core+3
> > > using the versions given in the FC4 distro with no luck. Here's the
> output
> > > when I run "make linux26". Any help would be great. TIA.
> >
> > [...snip...]
> >
> > > In file included from /asterisk_source/zaptel/zaptel.c:40:
> > > /asterisk_source/zaptel/zconfig.h:10:27: error:
> > > linux/version.h: No such file or directory
> >
> > Try installing kernel-source and/or glibc-kernheaders RPMs from the FC4
> CDs.
>
> kernel-glibcheaders is the part of the kernel headers that user-space
> programs need. Not any good reference for any kernel module to build
> with.
>
> linux/version.h is generated as part of the configuration process of the
> kernel configuration process ("make {,menu,x,g}config") of the kernel
> source.
>
> What version of zaptel do you try to build? For what kernel version?
> Your distro's default or your one you've built yourself?

That did the trick- I untarred the kernel source, ran "make oldconfig &&
make", and got the linux/version.h file. Then did a "ln -s kernels/linux-
2.6.12 linux-2.6" in the /usr/src dir. Once that was done, went to the
zaptel dir and it compiled beautifully. Thank you so much.

To answer your question, I am running the latest version in CVS using "cvs
update -d -r v1-0", and kernel 2.6.12. I ended up building my own kernel
(not installed) to get this to work (not sure if I could do it the other
way).

Thanks again for the help, and hopefully my notes will help others.

-Eric