[Asterisk-Users] Network Configuration Question for Asterisk Server

Syed Akbar syed.akbar at alicosystems.com
Tue Jul 12 10:19:12 MST 2005

I am looking for some advice on how to best setup the Asterisk Server on the
network for access from remote SIP phones. The following is my current
configuration:

SBC DSL (5 Static IP Available) ---> Netgear Firewall/Router ---> Asterisk
Server & Local SIP phones on LAN.

The Netgear router is currently configured for DHCP and NAT on the LAN side,
the WAN side is static IP. This internal setup works fine with the Asterisk
server on a static NAT address. I need to add remote SIP phones and still
maintain a Firewall. What would be the best way to accomplish this? Should I
put the Asterisk server in the DMZ and turn on the Linux firewall? Or is
there a better approach that someone can suggest. Another approach I am
looking at is to have a WAN router with no NAT and no DHCP and a second
router with NAT and DHCP for the local client machines. Buying more than 5
static IPs from SBC is too costly.

Syed Akbar

Alico Systems Inc
www.alicosystems.com