[Asterisk-Users] DTMF not sending properly via IAX

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Tue Jul 12 04:03:40 MST 2005

Not sure this applies, but a few months ago some of us were having
problems with an itsp (livevoip.com) and incoming iax calls that
hit the * ivr. dtmf was essentially not being passed. I opened a
bug, however Mark quickly closed it with a note "that's the way
iax works; have the itsp fix their problem".

The issue at that time was oriented around a call that was considered
"answered". If the end-to-end path of the call is considered answered,
asterisk is no longer in the voice path to translate dtmf into iax
out-of-band dtmf packets. Part of the argument was then "what is an
asterisk user suppose to do to pass dtmf across an iax link that uses
g729"?  g729 won't reproduce the audio tones reliably, etc, etc.

Lurking behind all of that is a defacto telephony standard that
essentially supports dtmf end-to-end regardless of what type of circuit
is involved (dtmf passed in-band after answer).

Is it possible that part of your issue might involve the answer status
of the iax path?

> Hi Tony
>
> I am having a similar issue to you - from the 'other' direction in that when I connect to *
via IAX2 the DTMF is being ignored. I
> am running HEAD at the moment.
>
> (and for the benefit of another subscriber so that they don't have to invoke their
autoresponder I acknowlege that DTMF is