[Asterisk-Users] Enabling rtcachefriends prevents phones from calling each other

Star User staruser at softelinc.com
Mon Jul 11 18:12:24 MST 2005

With rtcachefriends = yes in sip.conf, my SIP phone registered to Asterisk Server A cannot dial another SIP phone registered to Asterisk Server B. The error message is: "Cannot create channel of type SIP (Cause 3 - no route to destination)".

The two phones _can_ call each other if I set rtcachefriends = no. The common extensions.conf simply uses Dial(SIP/extension) to dial extensions.

Both Asterisk servers are using identical MySQL databases, kept in sync using replication. The sipusers tables in both databases show the correct dynamic IP address and port for both phones, indicating that the phones did register successfully. And the dynamic registration information is reflected in both databases because of the MySQL replication.

However, running "sip show peers" on Server A only shows the phone registered to Server A. Running the same command on Server B only shows the phone registered to Server B.

So despite the fact that phone B's registration data (IP address and port) is in Server A's database, the Asterisk on Server A doesn't know how to route the call to phone B. It looks like Asterisk is using cached data and ignoring the database, but the registration info for phone B never got into the cache.

I need rtcachefriends enabled, because I need MWI to work. I've seen this problem discussed before, but I haven't come across a solution. Anyone have an answer? Thanks in advance.

Rana Dutt
Softel Solutions, Inc.
rdutt at softelinc.com