[Asterisk-Users] IAXphone -> ip address -> extension number.

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Sat Jul 9 06:47:12 MST 2005

> >If you use 2.4, consider 2.6, as its ztdummy works better. If you use
> >2.6, you may be using udev, and need to read README.udev .
> >

> Bingo!
>
> I had read the README.udev, but had not noticed any make-time udev
>
> Bad, bad boy - naughty me.
>
> Anyway, dumping those lines into the 50-udev-rules file has solved this
> issue perfectly. I can now modprobe zaptel then ztdummy with no errors
> and asterisk loads & opens all the IAX stuff & confirms that it is
> listening on port 4569.
>
> Cool - well spotted.
>
> Now to get rid of these darn issues:
>
> *CLI> Jul  9 10:23:46 NOTICE[8102]: chan_iax2.c:3891 register_verify:
> Empty registration from 192.168.0.201
> Jul  9 10:23:48 NOTICE[8102]: chan_iax2.c:3891 register_verify: Empty
> registration from 192.168.0.202
> Jul  9 10:23:48 NOTICE[8102]: chan_iax2.c:6198 iax2_poke_noanswer: Peer
> 'z2' is now UNREACHABLE!
> Jul  9 10:23:48 NOTICE[8102]: chan_iax2.c:6198 iax2_poke_noanswer: Peer
> 'z1' is now UNREACHABLE!
>     -- Accepting unauthenticated call from 192.168.0.201, requested
> format = 4, actual format = 4
>     -- Executing Dial("IAX2/z2 at z1/5", "IAX/z2|20|tr") in new stack
> Jul  9 10:23:57 WARNING[8102]: channel.c:1913 ast_request: No channel
> type registered for 'IAX'
> Jul  9 10:23:57 NOTICE[8102]: app_dial.c:764 dial_exec: Unable to create
> channel of type 'IAX'
>   == Everyone is busy/congested at this time
> Jul  9 10:24:07 WARNING[8102]: pbx.c:1948 ast_pbx_run: Timeout, but no
> rule 't' in context 'geograph'
>     -- Hungup 'IAX2/z2 at z1/5'
> Jul  9 10:24:18 NOTICE[8102]: chan_iax2.c:3891 register_verify: Empty
> registration from 192.168.0.201
> Jul  9 10:24:20 NOTICE[8102]: chan_iax2.c:3891 register_verify: Empty
> registration from 192.168.0.202
>

> I'm sure its now possibly a phone setup, but being green at this
> asterisk stuff, I let them sell me the phones without setup manuals or
> anything. grrrrrrr.

> All PCs & phones on this network plug into the same 3com switch, port 8
> of this switch links to a netgear DG834 (my ADSL modem/router/firewall).
> The three remaining ports on the netgear are unused, but if I plug
> anything into them, the netgear DHCP offers them a compatible IP and
> they can see everything plugged into the 3COM. Note that *all* equipment
> that is permanently connected has a *fixed* IP and does not get one from
> the netgear DHCP service.
> In short, the fact that ethereal saw nothing coming from the phones
> suggest a phone setup issue.
>
> However
>
> the fact that when I dial *1202 (*1 being the phones IAX dial-prefix),
> asterisk responds to the request, shows that the phones do however
> communicate in some recognisable way.
>
> Maybe I should also fiddle with a minimum iax.conf and extensions.conf.

Now we're getting there. In one of your previous emails, you indicated:
 8) IAX username - still left blank
 9) IAX password - still left blank

Edit those to something valid, don't leave them blank.

Then, in iax.conf, enter the same username and password.
 username=
 secret=

Power cycle the phone and _now_ it should register properly.
(That's why you are getting "register_verify: Empty registration
from 192.168.0.202" in the above CLI.

To jump ahead a little, if the phone has a config entry for type
of dtmf, set it to rfc2833. This applies more to the sip use then
it does to iax, but set it anyway.

Also, if the phone's config has a parameter that says something
about "transmit silence" (or words that are something close), be
sure to set that to "yes".

Regarding your comments about the 3com and netgear "switches",
ethernet switches do not forward "all" packets to every port. They
are smart enough to know where each MAC resides, and only forward
packets out a switch port if the packet is destined for the device
attached to that port.  So, in your ethereal packet traces all you
will ever see is broadcast packets (which are sent out all ports).

If you need to run ethereal again with those switches, you will
have to install and run it on the asterisk box. Otherwise, you will
never see the desired traffic.

Rich