[Asterisk-Users] best Fax board?

Joseph syscon at interbaun.com
Fri Jul 8 14:24:18 MST 2005

On Fri, 2005-07-08 at 15:19 -0400, Shawn Porter wrote:
> Prospective user question”
>
> What is the simplest/inexpensive board to use in order to be able to
> receive faxes in Asterisk.
>
> I have a couple of cards I bought off E-bay think they were TX-1000
> (or supposed to be anyways)
>
> but I assume I need some form of fax card though.

Internal cards are not worth it.
>From my experience (I went through so many internal fax card etc  I'm
not buying them anymore), they are waist of money.
- limited to one bus the current one, the bus will change in a future
and your card is junk
- problem sending a fax if your server which have the fax card goes down
(for maintenance etc).

Good solution is to buy an external fax/modem box (hardware type)
connect it to FXS port and install any fax software (hylafax is good).

1.) with with setup you can fax it from any PC by dialing extension
prefix of the FXS port your fax is connect it to.
2.) you can dial out on any outgoing voice line just by setting it up
with your asterisk.
3.) if your fax server goes down, restart hylafax on another PC and your
fax server is up and running (takes only 5sec.)
4.) you can receive fax on any incoming line in asterisk just by
specifying on the incoming line : nvFaxBackgroundDetect (very nice
application)
5.) and the one I like most is the ability in hylafax to control the
junk faxes with "tsi"

--
#Joseph