[Asterisk-Users] IAXphone -> ip address -> extension number.

Time Bandit timebandit001 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 13:16:26 MST 2005

> >What about define those phones on the SIP.conf and use sip, instead of IAX.
> >That protocol use be more used to communicate Asterisk servers more than
> >phones.
That's not totally true. An IAX softphone will work easily behind a
NAT/Firewall. The same can't be said for a SIP one. I've tested IAX
succesfully working behind 3 NAT, and all the 4 softphones where able
to place/receive calls. I really don't think you could do the same
with SIP.

> Ah - ok - I understood from the docs that IAX was better and, as the
> phone was capable of both, I've been trying to get it going via IAX.
My opinion is to keep using IAX, because, like you concluded, it's a
better protocol.

hth