[Asterisk-Users] Long Distance

Bill McLaughlin bill at cjroofing.com
Thu Jul 7 13:01:44 MST 2005

There are actually a number of ways to reduce or eliminate long distance
charges using Asterisk(or any number of other similar solutions out there).

  1) Set up two Asterisk PBX's connected via network at different locations,
and configure calls to be routed between them across the network rather than
through the normal phone network, this would allow callers in either
location to call out to the other area without long distance, as Asterisk
could route the calls across the network then out to the public network at
the remote site

  2) Find a VOIP provider that provides voice lines through an internet
connection, and offers unlimited long distance to the areas you need to call

  3) Find a telephone provider that offers an unlimited plan through the
PSTN and interface it to that (Can be done with any phone system, not just
Asterisk, obviously)