[Asterisk-Users] Dropped calls if transferred across servers into MeetMe with mobile source

asterisk at gatheringpoint.net asterisk at gatheringpoint.net
Wed Jul 6 23:02:02 MST 2005

I have an application where calls come into an *box from a DID
provider, and may be transferred to a meetme conference on another
*box (the call is released by the first *box after transfer).

These are ulaw IAX channel calls, and if the source is from a Verizon
or Nextel mobile phone to the DID (other carriers not tested), the
call drops about 2-3 minutes after it joined the meetme conference.
POTS originated calls do fine - they do not drop.  I've reproduced
this consistently, and across two different DID termination providers
and several different mobile phones.

I'm seeing the behavior on 1.0.7 and 1.0.9.  Calls don't fully drop.
Meetme shows a reduction in the participant count, and the conference
exit tone plays, but the mobile phone thinks it is still connected...
AND other call participants can still hear the 'dropped' person, but
that person can't hear anything.

Also, if I change the first *box iax.conf to notransfer=yes, all
calls are reliable (but, of course, I'm tying up resources...not a
good long term solution).

Console output is as follows for problem calls:
Jul  5 15:18:44 WARNING[9256]: chan_iax2.c:1477 attempt_transmit: Max
retries exceeded to host xx.xx.xx.xx on IAX2/yyy@ xx.xx.xx.xx:4569/3
(type = 2, subclass = 4, ts=65540, seqno=1)
Jul  5 15:18:44 WARNING[9256]: app_meetme.c:962 conf_run: Unable to
write frame to channel: No child processes
   == Spawn extension (toll, 1001074, 5) exited non-zero on 'IAX2/
yyy@ xx.xx.xx.xx:4569/3'
     -- Hungup 'IAX2/yyy@ xx.xx.xx.xx:4569/3'

I've experimented with jitterbuffer on and off, different qos
settings (including high reliability), and different meetme options.
I haven't been able to impact this behavior.  There is an agi that
executes when the call arrives at the meetme *box (before meetme is
joined). It just hits a db, sets some variable values, and exits
cleanly -  and again, it's not until 2-3 minutes later that I see the
problem, and I don't have any problem with POTs sourced calls.

The big variable seems to be whether the call originated from a cell
phone or not, and that it was transferred to a second server.

This is really strange, and I've even pulled in someone else that
does Asterisk work just to do a sanity check and make sure I wasn't
missing something obvious... no such luck.

Any thoughts or insights?