[Asterisk-Users] Line sharing

Glenn Powers glenn at braverock.com
Tue Jul 5 07:46:41 MST 2005

Christian Schnell wrote:

> Hi, I would like to have a VoIP-card share a physical phone line with
> some other analog device. When a call comes in it is supposed to be
> answered by that analog device, only occasionally I'd like the
> VoIP-card to "join" that conversation. Using the VoIP-card, I'd like
> to establish a three-way conference (external party, analog device,
> PC+IP-phone) and then also record that conversation digitally to a PC
> in the LAN. All three parties must be able to hear and speak freely.

I don't think you need special hardware to do this. I think you /may/
just need to patch the current Zaptel driver. Currently, using a
Wildcard X100P, you can Answer() and Hangup() up the call. However, when
"sharing the line" I've found that the driver will barge into many calls
at somewhat random times. The driver does not appear to support
"line-in-use" detection. So, basically you'd need to patch the driver to
/only/ answer on an Answer() command. It would also be useful to have
the driver report (and Asterisk support) ring indication, and CallerID
without answering.

cheers,
glenn