[Asterisk-Users] presence and IM again, want to develop a working "hack"

Michiel van Baak michiel at vanbaak.info
Mon Jul 4 13:50:34 MST 2005

Juraj Bednar wrote:
> Hello,
>
>    I was again asked to try to add support for presence
> (SUBSCRIBE/NOTIFY) and IM using SIMPLE. I have few questions:
>
>    a.) are there any, at least partial projects, patches, anything,
> that at least partly implements presence and/or IM to chan_sip? I
> don't care about presence on other channels, I have one SIP client per
> user. I've read this list's archive several times and found lots of
> wonderful proposals, which try to convince asking users, what needs to
> be done to support this well (multichannel, multiple phones per user,
> ...), mainly saying, that without very difficult reworking of
> internals, it would not be supported. What I really need is to hack it
> into chan_sip.c. I need the support of other channels and applications
> (f.e. MeetMe), but where I really care about presence and IM is SIP.
>
>    So, any project, hack, patch, anything, that would allow me to go
> further with this would be greatly appreciated. I found this page in
> Russian: http://www.asterisk-support.ru/forums/development/53843189454
> that somehow deals with the problem. I tried babelfish translation,
> (http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/trurl_pagecontent?lp=ru_en&trurl=http%3a%2f%2fwww.asterisk-support.ru%2fforums%2fdevelopment%2f53843189454)
> but I was not able to find out, if it really at least partially solves
> this problem, but as far as I understand it, Windows Messanger makes
> use of Subscribe/Notify, so this should be it.
>
>   b.) Anyone has a partial solution using SER (which supports presence
> and IM) as a frontend, but routing all calls through Asterisk? Can
> this be done? I need the calls to go via Asterisk (I don't mean only
> sip notifications, but also the data, so I have canreinvite=no). So
> basically, SER would be a registrar "proxy" to Asterisk, which would
> do the authentication. The only thing, that SER would do would be to
> handle presence and IM and pass everything else on to Asterisk (as far
> as I know, SER can't pass traffic through it. I need the data to pass
> through the SIP server, since machines in my network topology don't
> see each other, it's a star with Asterisk in centre -- quite poetic
> indeed:). Any ideas, pointers to similiar configurations, ... are
> welcome.
>
>   c.) If there is no solution to start with, is it possible to
> implement it only to chan_sip? I'm not familiar with Asterisk source
> code at all. Where are the places to look (in chan_sip.c) which are
> best to hook this code. Again, any code, hints, etc. about the
> structure of the source code are really welcome. Doing this in a clean
> way (although it's a hack) so it can be reused by community as much as
> possible is my intent. If anyone wants to help with the project by
> donating coder's time, mail me off the list.
>
>   I hope I'll be able to support presence for hardphones and Xten's
> eyeBeam softphone in a few days with your help.
>

>      Best wishes and thanks for any replies,

> [...]
Hi,

Why not use the manager interface to poll if the sip device is logged
in? You can make a script that puts your jabber client on/offline based
on the manager output.
I personally don't think it's a good idea to implement it in chan_sip.
One reason for this is that user1 wants msn, user2 wants jabber, user3
wants icq, user4 wants gadugadu etc etc. Are you gonna implement all this ?

That is, if you mean Instant Messaging in SIP ;) Forgive me if I'm wrong...

Michiel