[Asterisk-Users] Proper way to start * and load modules on a RedHatbox

Roland Zagler r.zagler at fog.at
Mon Jul 4 12:55:46 MST 2005

Hi,

after you have done "make", "make install" and maybe "make samples" in
asterisk source-dir just do a "make config" and all will be done for
you.

to check if it worked, simply issue "chkconfig --list asterisk" to see
the
runlevels asterisk is started or not.

to start zaptel drivers do the same after "make install" ("make
config"),
and then edit the file "/etc/sysconfig/zaptel" for your needs, which
means
comment out all the modules you don't want to load and uncomment all
modules you want to load.

afterwards you should start zaptel and asterisk as follows:

# service zaptel start
# service asterisk start

during bootup process all is started fine.

i experienced that on some configs the "service asterisk restart" does
not work correctly, so go to "/etc/rc.d/init.d" and edit the file
"asterisk"
and insert a "sleep 5" between stop and start in "restart".

hope this helps!

regards,
roland