[Asterisk-Users] Linksys WRT54GP2-NA settings forperformanceandlow bandwidth?

Greg Boehnlein damin at nacs.net
Sun Jul 3 10:02:00 MST 2005

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005, Paul Fielding wrote:

> I have indeed already done so - I use G729 quite a bit since I travel alot
> in adverse conditions.  Interesting thing is, I can get less choppy audio
> sometimes from my Vonage device using (what I suspect to be) Ulaw, while
> either ulaw or G729 will still give choppy response at that moment from my
> Linksys....
>
> Paul

Funny thing about codecs.. Sometimes you will get better quality audio and
less chop when using ulaw on crappy connections. Why? Very simply because
it sends less total audio information per packet, so it can withstand
dropped packets a lot better than a highly compressed codec, especially
with a good jitter buffer and PLC implementation on the other side. I'd
expect that Vonage is running something with a decent PLC and Jitter
buffer, which would explain your results.

Try using CVS head and enabling the SIP jitter buffer and PLC code w/ Ulaw
and see if it improves your results.