[Asterisk-Users] Buy IP address

Joe Greco jgreco at ns.sol.net
Sun Jul 3 07:25:57 MST 2005

> > Hi:
> >
> > I have my Asterisk server behind a nat and I want to
> > buy a static IP. Is there a company that sell IP and
> > forward it to IAX file as in the DID service. Any
> > reference or recommendations please?
>
> Only your ISP can sell you an IP.  Please contact your ISP.

Not /quite/ true.  You can also purchase VPN service, which could be
used to tunnel through a NAT device and provide a full visibility IP
on the inside network.  That's probably not the best route to go for
a VoIP solution, but then again, if the networks are well connected,
it could be just fine.

I'll also note that while your answer is almost certainly on-target
for what the user asked, it is generally a bit misleading.  First off,
no one can "sell" you an IP.  IP space is delegated, and you never
actually own IP space.  It's a little bit like a domain name.  Also,
any regional numbering authority (for example, ARIN for North America)
can delegate you IP space directly, though you certainly need the
cooperation of your ISP (or a tunnel provider) in getting that to you.

... JG