[Asterisk-Users] Linux Distribution for Asterisk server use

Jay Milk jay at skimmilk.net
Sun Jul 3 07:02:27 MST 2005

Just my two cents... but with that ambitious deployment plan, you
shouldn't ask about distros, but rather start interviewing some linux
admins.  If you're really planning on deploying all those machines on a
platform foreign to you, the distro is a fraction of your battle.
You'll need to understand linux security, create failover
configurations, etc.  You won't learn that in a month or two... And even
if you're able to deploy, what are you going to do when the system
fails?  There's never a good time to acquire debugging skills, but when
your DS3-connected server is down at 10am on a Monday, that's just about
the worst time.

That said, for proof of concept, go with CentOS 4.1 -- smooth install,
all the benefits of RHEL4 and you'll be in business in no time.  Later
on you can moderately tune the kernel if needed or simply re-install
when you get someone who knows linux.  Of course, there was the
obligatory plug for GenToo on the list, and I'm sure I'll get flamed for
saying this, but I recommend you simply skip over that.  Yes, it sounds
attractive and there's a very vocal group of supporters, but in my
experience (and that of several associates), the effort required to
achieve a stable system (or even a "running" system) are in no sensible
ratio to the "benefits" (perceived or otherwise).

The above was written by a professional Windows Programmer (since before
Win32) and spare-time Windows Admin (since NT 3.5).  As you, I first
arrived at Linux with Asterisk being the *only* reason.  Now, a year
later, I'm looking at how to replace my NT servers with Linux
machines...