[Asterisk-Users] Linux Distribution for Asterisk server use

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir at cohens.org.il
Sun Jul 3 02:33:06 MST 2005

On Sun, Jul 03, 2005 at 11:01:44AM +0200, f6hqz-m at wanadoo.fr wrote:
> Hi the list !
>
> I totaly agree Tzafrir.
> I am an happy Debian user from a while now.
> I recommand to my friends to use Testing branch to have the latest packages
> (which are stable or near to be stable but usable).
> Asterisk is delivered closed to be complete "Asterisk
> 1.0.7-BRIstuffed-0.2.0-RC7k" with major applications and nice tools
> included.
> The only thing to do is to compile zaptel driver if any analog lines.
> Realy cool distro and maintainers...

Actually, now is a good time to go with Stable. 1.0.9 will soon reach
Unstable and later Testing if all goes well. But currently the packages
in Testing are not even newer than the ones in Stable.
I figure that Stable or Stable+backports is generally a saner path than
the constant updates of unstable/testing:

If you want a development platform with generally the latest and
greatest, then testing/unstable is good for you. But if you want a solid
PBX onto which you can apply fixes to issues without upgrading the whole
system in the process, Stable is your choice.