[Asterisk-Users] Linux Distribution for Asterisk server use

TWV voip at teleweb.be
Sat Jul 2 23:45:05 MST 2005

Hello,

My question is about which Linux distribution to choose for Asterisk. (/me
holds breath)  OK, hopefully you're still reading, because whatever you were
thinking now, you're thinking wrong! ;)

First of all, I want to make clear that I have read EVERY message and reply
that I could possibly find about this topic, so that includes the dozens of
messages here on the Asterisk mailinglists, on the Digum forum, and even
Google search results!

Still, my question was not answered!  Mainly because the same answer always
came back: "Use the one you are most comfortable with".  Well, I already
knew that (linux is linux), but it doesn't apply to my situation at all!

Let's make things clear and concrete now:

In my professional life, I work as a windows system & network administrator
and as a developer on the .NET platform, and have a long and extensive
experience with telecom and VoIP.  Working for a telecom company, I now have
accepted the challenge to extend our offering with Asterisk.  During the
past 6 months, I have learned as much as I possibly could about the Asterisk
PBX, successfully set up a complete test environment, developed IVR systems,
and now we feel the time is right to put these services into production.
BUT, before we can go live, one important problem remains: as I said, I am a
Windows guy, I have a VERY profound knowledge of Windows and manage almost
20 Windows 2003 Servers that run mission-critical applications on a 365/24/7
basis, and support a large number of Windows applications and Web services
(some of the applications I have developed are used by more than 25000 users
every day!)  Why am I telling this?  Well, because I want to make it clear
that I am perfectly happy with my platform/OS (windows), and have no intent
whatsoever to ever change servers or application platforms to linux (let
alone my workstation).  What's more, I have NEVER come in to contact with
linux/unix before, so I have never worked with ANY distribution.

Having explained all this, it should sound logical that I chose the
AsteriskWin32 version for learning Asterisk.  Of course, I realize that we
can't put any production system on AsteriskWin32.  So before we can go live
with Asterisk servers and services, this last issue remains to be resolved:
what Linux distribution should I choose (and learn)?

As I explained, I see Linux merely as a "necessary evil" (because of my lack
of knowledge) for running Asterisk.  So I'm asking about the best linux
distribution only to put up asterisk servers.  I'm NOT asking for the
easiest one or so (I always enjoy challenges and learning new things), I'm
asking for the best choice to build a carrier grade telecom system, having
to support thousands of users each and every day.  So it must be reliable
and easy to maintain and upgrade.  We are going to use Asterisk in our own
datacenters (supporting nation-wide services), as well as in servers that we
sell to corporations and callcenters for use as an advanced PBX/CTI system).

So it should be clear that I'm not talking about a hobby or home deployment
here.  Our central asterisk systems for example will have to manage DS3 or
(lots of) E1 trunks.

If you need more information, I am happy to supply it.  I appreciate your
time and am hoping for some good suggestions and arguments which will lead
me to the correct choice for now and for the years to come.

Thanks!