[Asterisk-Users] call forwarding, most basic case

Mike Hillerbrand mike at boldmountain.com
Sat Jul 2 16:16:26 MST 2005

By user do you mean the caller (initiator of the call) or the recipient? If
you mean that user is the call recipient, it is very easy. The caller's call
comes to you with its Caller ID--if you want the call to go to VM, then
don't answer the call. I use this for forwarding to other PSTN lines (cell,
remote offices, etc..), although I would guess the same thing applies to SIP
phones. The dial plan variables are only necessary if you want to pass
caller ID from the originating caller through to the forwarded number. If
you don't use the variable then the caller ID you would see would be that
from the Asterisk configuration and not from the actual caller.

The "0" inserted into the number is helpful if you have calls forwarded
simultaneously to your cell phone (or other) so that you can see by the zero
that it is a forwarded call rather than a direct call to your PSTN number (I
guess you could also use this with internal calls to distinguish calls that
are forwarded from different extension numbers). If it is a forwarded call
then by not answering it, it would go to Asterisk VM. If a direct call, it
would go to whatever aswering funtion is set up on your cell phone (or other
PSTN phone). [Please reply through the mailing list]. Mike.