[Asterisk-Users] Enum or DUNDi

Waldo Rubinstein waldo at trianet.net
Sat Jul 2 13:30:29 MST 2005

I've been reading a bit about Enum and DUNDi and still have something
not very clear to me.

This is a HYPOTHETICAL scenario:

I have 4 asterisk servers. All of them are handling registrations of
both SIP and IAX2 UAs. SIP agents are being load balanced by
something like SER. I have another server in charge of load balancing
IAX2 UAs registration (some sort of dynamic firewall telling the
remote host what IP address to connect to) (may be there is already a
IAX2 load balancer out there).

The idea behind this is that any agent (whether it's SIP or IAX2) can
register to any of the asterisk servers at any given time, given the
load on the servers. Therefore, I would assume that all asterisks
servers have a "replica" of the sip.conf, iax.conf, and some
intelligent dial plan that would be able to handle all these.

I THINK the questions I have are:
1) Since all asterisk servers can, at any time, accept registration
from any SIP or IAX2 client, can they all have the same sip.conf and
iax2.conf?
2) If the answer to question 1 is yes, then if I use something like
ENUM or DUNDi so that all asterisk servers can "learn" where the
actual clients are, will the asterisk servers announce their
knowledge once the client registers on the asterisk server, or will
the fact that their configuration is "hard-coded" in the sip.conf and
iax2.conf assumes that all the asterisks servers will simply say, I
can route call to this "address", even if that client has not
actually registered on a particular server?

I hope my questions were clear.

Thanks,
Waldo