[Asterisk-Users] IAX DTMF Problem...

Julio Arruda jarruda-asterisk at jarruda.com
Sat Jul 2 12:45:03 MST 2005

Denis Galvão - iSolve wrote:
> IAX doesn't use INBAND DTMF.
>
> Denis Galvão.

Denis,
A clarification, I hope, just to make Mark aware of the small difference.
IAX sends DTMF in the signaling 'stream', that happens to follow the
same path as the media.
But, in IAX DTMF is not sent as voice payload (as the typical inband
when is being used in SIP as one example), just happen to be sent "in
the same flow" from source host/port to destination host/port.
In SIP, when we use "inband", in fact, the DTMF tone will be treated as
a voice 'piece', and will be sent in RTP packets without any special
considerations :-)
 From what I understand, that is one of the reasons with SIP inband
doesn't mix well with any codec other than G.711.
(compression could distort the tone).
Mark, you may want to ask your provider to check the same kind of trace
you did in your side.
(after all, it seems much like you ARE sending the DTMF to them, is not
like will get distorted :-)