[Asterisk-Users] Audio delay w/ call forwarding

Mike Hillerbrand mike at boldmountain.com
Sat Jul 2 05:41:46 MST 2005

I have experienced a * problem with all "forwarded" calls where the inbound
caller cannot hear any audio for 2-4 seconds after the forwarded call is
answered, causing the caller--who cannot hear anything--to think there is no
connection and thus hangs up. If the caller waits a couple of seconds, audio
is restored and everything is OK. The problem didn't seem to be there when I
first set up the server about 2 months ago. After eliminating potential
hardware problems, etc., I figured out that when I change jitterbuffer=yes
to jitterbuffer=no in iax.conf the audio delay problem is solved, but the
call quality degrades. My prior settings were:

[general]
bindport = 4569
bindaddr = 0.0.0.0
delayreject=yes
disallow=all
allow=ulaw
allow=alaw
mailboxdetail=yes
register => XXXXX at voip.teliax.com
dropcount=3
jitterbuffer=yes
maxjitterbuffer=500
maxexcessbuffer=300
canreinvite=no

Any ideas on tweaking iax.conf to optimize call quality, but avoid the audio
delay with forwarded calls?

Regards,

Mike

Michael Hillerbrand