[Asterisk-Users] Re: passing through MWI info from SBC

Chris A. Icide chris at netgeeks.net
Fri Jul 1 11:10:27 MST 2005

John Novack wrote:

> Mike Myers wrote:

<snip>

>> Wow, this is a serious problem for me.  I don't need
>> to actually check the voicemail itself from Asterisk,
>> just to be able to tell that there is voicemail
>> waiting.  Are you saying there is no way in Asterisk
>> to do this?   Is that true for using Digium hardware
>> as well as FXO ports on a SIP ATA?
>> Vonage VM doesn't matter to me, since I'll turn it off
>> and use Asterisk for that functionality, but
>> determining SBC's VM status is very important.  My
>> whole wife's family (multiple households) uses it.  In
>> the past, if one family tried to switch to a non SBC
>> provider, they always returned in less than a week
>> because of lack of VM interoperation. So my wife will
>> put the kibosh on the whole Asterisk project unless I
>> can light the MWI light when SBC VM is waiting.  Since
>> the cheapest analog phones can do this, I don't think
>> she's going to understand that these $200 Polycom
>> phones can't...  :-(
>>
>> Is there no way around this?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Mike

Here is what I would do.  Install a TDM04 card with a couple fxos.
Connect the analog phones that your wife will be using to the tdm card.
In zapata.conf, set those phones to immediate=yes, and when you get an
event on the fxo port, connect it to the fxs port with the stutter
tone.  This way, when she picks up the phone, it will immediately
connect her to the sbc provided dial tone, and she can hear the stutter
or lack thereof.  When a call comes inbout however, you can still route
it as you want.

Not a perfect solution, since the phones she will be using are forced to
use SBC, but the best solution I can think of.

-Chris