[Asterisk-Users] Voicemail => SMS

Peter Bowyer peeebeee at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 10:26:24 MST 2005

On 01/07/05, Mark Charlton <mcwebtree at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have been fighting with the Bayham Systems FastSMS AGI script, and I
> re-wrote it as a stand alone Perl script.  I am now calling it with
> the EXTERNNOTIFY option in the voicemail.conf file.  It gets passed
> the context, extension and number of messages which I build into a
> text, and since they all go to the same location its no problem.  I'm
> planning on using the extension info to open the mailbox, and read the
> text file for the latest message to pull out the caller for the text.
> I might also have an extension map in a text file so I can look up who
> to notify about a VM.

I also hacked Bayham Systems' script. I need to control the MWI on GSM
phones, which is turned on and off by custom SMS messages (which
Bayham helpfully provide macros for). And I needed to avoid sending
repeat notifications when a second or subsequent new message was left.

I ended up keeping a flag in a db file which stores per mobile number
what state the MWI is in for that phone. If the flag says the MWI is
already set when a new message comes in, then the script is a no-op,
otherwise it sends the 'MWI on' SMS and flips the flag. Ditto in
reverse.

Works fine and dandy here.

Peter

--