[Asterisk-Users] Re:passing through MWI info from SBC

Mike Myers mikesm559 at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 1 09:18:34 MST 2005

John Novack wrote:

>Mike Myers wrote:

>>Hi..  I am about to replace my aging Nortel Venture
>>system with an Asterisk system and 6 Polycom IP 501
>>phones, and a couple sipura 841's for less used
areas.

>>We have 3 phone lines here.  One is SBC, one Vonage,
>>and one Voipjet...  One hangup is that I can't
figure
>>out how to pass through a voicemail waiting
indication
>>from SBC.  This is important because my wife and her
>>family all exchange voicemails with each other on
the
>>SBC voicemail system.  They can leave messages for
>>each other without having the phones ring, etc...
We
>>have a 2 yr old at home, and her sister has some
small
>>kids too, so that's how they manage to send
voicemails
>>when they are unsure if the kids are sleeping,
etc...
>>Anyway, preserving this capability of using the SBC
VM
>>and being notified when a message is waiting is
>>critical for good WAF.
>>
>>The vonage line and voipjet line can be intergrated
>>into the Asterisk VM.  My Nortel venture phones
light
>>the MWI if any line has VM on it, and the display
>>tells you which lines have VM waiting.  I would love
>>to be able to duplicate this function on the
Polycom's
>>and hopefully the Sipura's as well.
>>
>>I've looked for answers on this, but haven't found
>>one, hence the post.  My apologies if I have missed
>>something.
>>
>>Thanks much,
>>Mike
>

>You haven't missed much.
>With SBC you are out of luck, since Asterisk doesn't
>detect dialtone  (
>it dials blind, sometimes too quickly for the CO to
>catch the first
>digit, resulting in wrong numbers )) or stutter
>dialtone either, and
>reportedly has had any indication of the DC status of
a POTS line
>removed due to problems.

>Only choice would to port the number to a VOIP
>provider and provide the
>VM in Asterisk.
>Similar problem with Vonage VM.

>John Novack

Wow, this is a serious problem for me.  I don't need
to actually check the voicemail itself from Asterisk,
just to be able to tell that there is voicemail
waiting.  Are you saying there is no way in Asterisk
to do this?   Is that true for using Digium hardware
as well as FXO ports on a SIP ATA?

Vonage VM doesn't matter to me, since I'll turn it off
and use Asterisk for that functionality, but
determining SBC's VM status is very important.  My
whole wife's family (multiple households) uses it.  In
the past, if one family tried to switch to a non SBC
provider, they always returned in less than a week
because of lack of VM interoperation. So my wife will
put the kibosh on the whole Asterisk project unless I
can light the MWI light when SBC VM is waiting.  Since
the cheapest analog phones can do this, I don't think
she's going to understand that these $200 Polycom
phones can't...  :-(

Is there no way around this?

Thanks,
Mike