[Asterisk-Users] RE: Answering Machine Function?

Bryan Mannos bmannos at gmail.com
Mon Jan 31 23:10:08 MST 2005

Jason is right, it's certainly possible.

I've got my home setup (single land PSTN line) as a full pbx system
with a fiance that would never tolerate any of my "nerd" setups.  My
setup is fully transparent to her using a Sipura 2000 (2 fxs ports for
our separate lines attached to 2 different portable phones) and an
Digium FXO card (1 port).  By using distinct ring detection offered by
Qwest with 2 phone numbers inbound, the main Qwest DID rings both fxs
lines, but her Qwest distinctive ring DID saves me from getting up to
answer her mother's daily call :)

I have no prefix dialing codes, except for forcing my local Qwest line
to dial long distance, which I only use for testing my inbound 800
numbers via the PSTN.  If a VoIP provider is down or not working, it
rolls the dialout to the next available VoIP provider or Qwest (yes,
get more than one)

I've also a sipura desk phone (SPA-841) that I use as my office phone.
 This shows 2 line presence for the Qwest inbound/outbound, as well as
VOIP out/in via both NuFone & VoIPjet.  I have 2 inbound VoIP business
DIDs via NuFone.com that are routed directly to my Sipura-841.

On top of this I have about 8 friends connected via SIP helping test
my system.  A few are out of state and one is in Kobe, Japan (took him
a BudgetPhone 100 while visiting last spring)  These users can dialout
via my VoIP plans and get inbound via NuFone toll free numbers and of
course dial via direct extension. (they have no access to the Qwest
line)  This is basically like a spread out office scenario and the
VoIP outbound offering to the users is cheap development feedback for
the $$$. Combined they don't use more than $15 a month.

My Dialplan routes all in house calls that are local to QWest, unless
it's occupied, then routes via VoIPjet.com or NuFone.net.  Using call
busy forwarding offered by QWest (0.38 cents a month) if the QWest
line is busy, it forwards to a DID provided by NuFone to an unbusy
inhouse extension. (note: distinctive ring is lost by the forward, but
that's ok, that's where CallerID comes in, I just have to get up now
;) )

So you can have a shared PBX setup, kids and all, that's transparent,
you just need to remove or rewire your phones to sit behind the PBX,
not laterally.  Let the PBX do it's job.

The dialplans are a bit voluminous to go through right now, but with
enough reading (voip-info.org of course) and testing, it's certainly
possible....

Jason,

I too am in SLC. Despite our apparent competition (or soon to be) in
our local market, the spirit of open standards don't end at Asterisk.
Perhaps you'd be willing to meet for coffee/beer/soda sometime and
discuss setups and/or some local biz talk. Drop me an email if you'd
like to do so.

-Bryan