[Asterisk-Users] RE: Answering Machine Function?

Glenn Powers glenn at net127.com
Mon Jan 31 20:19:53 MST 2005

>    Is this possible with asterisk?  Anyone have a sample dialplan?
>
>-other than the problem outlined below I would try something like
>
>S,1,wait(20)
>S,2,voicemail(uwhatever)
>S,3,hangup

One issue I ran into with using * as an answering machine is that it
can't just share a line with other phones. My first attempt at making an
"Asterisk Answering Machine" was similiar to your approach above.
However, * would _always_ answer the phone after 20 seconds, even if
another phone on the line was picked up. I'd love to see a work-around
for this other than "get a FXS card." FXO cards are cheap, FXS cards are
not.

This isn't an issue for business uses. This is an issue for people who
want to try out asterisk on a POTS line, but share that POTS line with
other people. Even if someone did get an FXS card AND an FXO card,
"other people" who share the line are NOT likely to be very tolerant of
dial plan errors, server problems, etc.

This is an important issue for the asterisk community becuase it
addresses how new users and new developers can start working with
asterisk. There is no reason that "Carrier Grade" software can't /also/
be easy for a home user to setup and use.

cheers,
glenn