[Asterisk-Users] RE: Answering Machine Function?

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht list+asterisk-users at lists.wsrcc.com
Mon Jan 31 17:22:28 MST 2005

jkkawakami at optellabs.com (Jason Kawakami) writes:
>     Is it in principle possible to create a dialplan that allows
>     prefix-free dialing to an outside line, and move all the
>     "PBX-like" features behind some special prefix?
>
>     i.e. recognize 3, 7 and 11 digit numbers as phone numbers
>     and dial them without further ado, and put voicemail and
>     every other PBX-ish feature behind, say "#"?

I don't know if you even need to work that hard to hide the pbx
numbers.

I just grab 6XXX as pbx-local numbers and pass all the rest to the
outside world.  The slight downside is that if someone is dialing a
7-digit or 10-digit outside number that starts with "6" and they
dither a bit after dialing 4 digits, it will end up calling the
corresponding inside number.  That hasn't been a problem in practice.

-wolfgang
     Hate software patents?  Sign here: http://thankpoland.info/