[Asterisk-Users] Call recorder based on *

Ireneusz Pluta ipluta at wp.pl
Mon Jan 31 13:17:10 MST 2005

Hello,

This request was initally sent to the -dev list, but I was advised to try rather here,
thanks Steve.

Here is the story:

I was asked by a call center company to find a solution of an affordable multichannel
system for recording their agents calls. Their basic demand is to handle recording of up
to 60 simultaneous telephone calls. There are many sophisticated recording systems
available on the market, obviously, but they are rather expensive solutions, for such a
capacity.

Based on the fact that the call center switch is connected to the PSTN with 2 E1s, and
only external incoming/outgoing calls are subject of recording, I thought the Asterisk
could be a solution, in the following way:
- I set up an Asterisk-based switch with a TE405P, with its two ports connected to the
call center telephone system and the other two to the telco company,
- arrange the Asterisk to be a tandem switch, simply routing calls to/from the call center
from/to PSTN,
- and this way have all calls going through the Asterisk available for recording, through
its recording/monitoring features.

The above description is rather a general idea, not covering all remaining issues like
recording control, voice files management and so on, which needs to be developed its own
way, however, my general question is whether the whole idea is worth considering and
starting more advanced work (means: investing time and money in the Digium hardware)?
What PC hardaware should be considered?

Again, the expected load for now is 60 simultaneous calls and should not rather grow,
however it should be rather not excluded that the Asterisk module can be considered in the
future to become an LCR routing box, in a case an alternative telecom operator becomes
available, icluding even VoIP option.

Thanks for any opinions and thougths,

Irek.