[Asterisk-Users] Where does a newbie get started?

Daniel del Castillo daniel.del.castillo at gmail.com
Mon Jan 31 12:51:42 MST 2005

About the hardware required, you need a telephony card if you want to
connect the PBX to a phone network. Visit http://www.digium.com/ and
have a look.

I recomend to check out the PDF located in
http://sourceforge.net/projects/asterisk/

I you want something deep theory, perhaps this link can help you
http://www.ericsson.com/support/telecom/index.shtml, or read a good
telecommunications book (look for it at amazon): Telecommunications
Essentials
by Lillian Goleniewski is a good one...

I hope this help

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 13:32:45 -0600, John Williams
<williamsbyron at gmail.com> wrote:
> I heard this project mentioned on the MythTV mailing list this
> weekend. I'm interested in finding more out about the way * works, but
> I can't seem to find something that talks about the benefits of having
> such a program in a home with a single line. What type of hardware
> would be required and any additional wiring that may be required.
>
> Does * support different rings for different callers and such.
>
> I'm not a PBX expert (we studied it in very littel detail in one of my
> networking classes) so all the jargon is lost on me. Where would I
> find such a guide or a few articles on my level?
>
> Thanks,
> John Williams

-DdC