[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk on MS Virtual Server

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Mon Jan 31 10:34:13 MST 2005

On Mon, 2005-01-31 at 21:36 +1100, Adam Goryachev wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-01-30 at 14:02 +0000, Paul Tyreman wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > This might not be a very popular question, but I was just wondering if
> > anyone have ever tried to run Asterisk on a Windows computer using Microsoft
> > Virtual Server
> > (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserversystem/virtualserver/default.mspx).
> >
> > I am told that you can run Linux on a virtual server using this software, so
> > in theory it should be possible.
> >
> > I run a windows based domain, but am also keep run Asterisk.  I could use a
> > different computer, but that would use more electricity.  So I was thinking
> > on upgrading my server to the latest specs, and trying to run Asterisk on
> > Windows 2003 using this software.
> >
> > If anyone has managed this, I would love to hear from you.
> >
> > Thanks, Paul.
>
> Maybe this is not something you would like to consider, but here is *my*
> 0.02c worth (please read to the end to get the full picture):
>
> * Dump windows, and install linux
> * Install vmware under linux
> * Install your windows 2003 inside vmware
> * Install asterisk under linux native
> * Make sure you start asterisk with -p and as user root

Of course the above goes counter to what we normally preach here. To run
vmware you have to run X. We normally say to make sure X is turned off.
We normally say to remove all extra functions off of your asterisk
machine.

I think the original poster is purposely setting asterisk up to fail by
trying to put it under unrealistic conditions and expectations. You
would not try installing a windows workstation on top of a key system.
You don't want to cause your phones to have any problems. Nor will you
want anything to bring your phone system down regardless of why.