[Asterisk-Users] Announcement to caller when called party haspicked up - without initial Answer()?

Alex Barnes abarnes at ubiquitysoftware.com
Mon Jan 31 07:37:30 MST 2005

To play music on hold first the call would need to be answered!?!?!?

Its straight forward to play an announcement to a caller just prior to
dialing an extension.
However what you need to do is establish whether a channel is infact
busy before issuing the Answer() command.  I suspect that this is either
not possible or would require some huge dirty hack.  But someone more
knowledgable than myself could tell you am sure.

That aside, TBH I think as a customer I would prefer to pay the couple
of pence to wait on hold (knowingly) / be asked to leave a message / be
told I am X in queue / etc than to only hear ringing.
After about 20seconds of ringing I would give up.  Being put on hold I
would be more forgiving.

And whats more important to you, customers that give up and look
elsewhere or customers that have to pay for 30-60seconds of holding IF
they choose to.

Also I was under the impression that in Europe calls are charged as soon
as you start ringing and not on pickup (this may be out of date as its
been a while since my school skiing trip ;-P )

HTH

alex

This email and any attached files are confidential and copyright protected.  If you are not the addressee, any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.  Unless otherwise expressly agreed in writing, nothing stated in this communication shall be legally binding.