[Asterisk-Users] NAT and SIP

Eric Wieling eric at fnords.org
Mon Jan 31 06:58:21 MST 2005

Rich Adamson wrote:

> For example, the first sip session will use udp 5060, but on weird
> nat boxes the second sip session will get mapped to udp 5061 (or
> something like that), and obviously * isn't listening on that port.

The port that shows up in "sip show peers" is the remote SOURCE port
and addresss.  Asterisk does not normally care about such things.  Any
NAT router that modified the DESTINATION port and address would not
not work.

Does anyone know of a basic NAT for Dummies document that I can point
people to?  This is something that comes up again and again from
people that don't understand how NAT works.