[Asterisk-Users] NAT and SIP

Tais M. Hansen tmh at comx.dk
Mon Jan 31 02:29:02 MST 2005

Hi,

Does Asterisk have a limit to how many NAT'ed SIP clients it supports behind a
single IP?

I have the weirdest problem ever. I have three SIP endpoints. SNOM phones, if
it matters. Their extensions are 200, 201 and 202. Apart from the
username/password, the sip entries in sip.conf all have identical
configuration. They're all NAT'ed behind the same IP. 200 and 202 registers
just fine, but 201 is completely ignored by Asterisk. I've traced the
REGISTER packets from the phones and compared 202 to 201. They're pretty much
identical, apart from tags, CSEQ and stuff like that. 202 gets a 100 Trying
reply, but 201 doesn't get anything. There's nothing going on in Asterisk
console debug output.

I then moved the 201 phone to a different LAN, so it got NAT'ed behind a
different IP. There are other phones on that LAN which registers fine. Still
no response from Asterisk though. Then I moved it to a third network, still
NAT'ed, but without any other SIP clients. There it registered just fine. I
then disconnected it, let it time out in Asterisk and connected it to the
first LAN again. No reply.

So this leads me to believe there's some kind of limit per IP on NAT'ed SIP
clients.

Can anybody shed some light on this?

[200]
type        = friend