[Asterisk-Users] Japan

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Sun Jan 30 22:39:12 MST 2005

On Mon, 2005-01-31 at 12:53 +0900, Jason Frisch wrote:
> Sorry for my ignorance, but what is J1? I actually hope to use Softbanks
> fiber-based IPtel
> service, but I believe they require VoIP TA so I guess the end result is
> just a standard
> analog line.

J1 is a Japanese T1 or close equivalent.

If IPTel uses a VoIP TA(voice over IP terminal adapter), you might want
to check into the type of signaling they use. It sounds like they might
be using SIP, H323, or MGCP to deliver the service. In that case you
might be able to swap the TA for asterisk with no or minimal trouble.
Then you are free to provision your side of the link as you wish.