[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk on MS Virtual Server

Greg Boehnlein damin at nacs.net
Sun Jan 30 07:42:30 MST 2005

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005, Paul Tyreman wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This might not be a very popular question, but I was just wondering if
> anyone have ever tried to run Asterisk on a Windows computer using Microsoft
> Virtual Server
> (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserversystem/virtualserver/default.mspx).
>
> [SNIP]
>
> If anyone has managed this, I would love to hear from you.
>
> Thanks, Paul.

It "works", but you will have timing issues and very poor audio quality.

I've run linux both under Vmware as well as running it under CoLinux
directly on windows w/ no emulation neccessary. All emulation /
virtualization layers have a problem whereby they are not able to keep up
with the interrupt frequency that good quality audio requires, so you will
hear pops, drops and buzzes in your conversation.

That being said, I did run my Home PBX for several months on a Dual
Opteron box running Windows XP and the AstWind package:

http://www.digium.com/index.php?menu=astwind

SIP to IAX2 was OK, and only had some minor glitches. However, when you
start involving disk access, the audio falls apart almost entirely. When I
asked on the CoLinux mailing list about the reasons for this, they
explained that they have to "fake" interrupt timings for the CoLinux
kernel, and as a result they can't gurantee anything consistent for
latency between cycles.

                             KP-216-121-ST